Thursday, April 3, 2014

Organic Gardening Helpful Ideas

With all the money I have recently spent on gardening items, let's see, what some things I am doing now, that I didn't do before, or that I am continuing to work on.

1. Having a worm composting bin
2. Using small, indoor composting bins (this is new. I have 2 of them going)
3. Using organic fertilizers
4. Using a soaker hose
5. Using fabric pots for container gardening
6. Installing 'Nite Guard' lights in the gardens. These are animal deterrents for the garden. As it gets dark, the little red lights come on and blink. Supposedly and hopefully they will discourage animals from getting into the gardens.
7. When a freeze comes, covering the plants
8. Using a fake owl (which turns its head by solar power)
9. Setting up a hydroponics garden (This can be expensive, but will be interesting to see how it works)
10. Making my own potting/gardening soil. The soil that comes in bags needs more vermiculite or perlite.
Also using black and white newspapers, cut into small pieces, is helpful to add to compost or use as mulch.

Plants are growing on the balcony. I have a sensory light up there in case any cats decide to get up into the balcony (not that having a sensory light will do much, but it might).
Alpine strawberries are doing great in the hydroponic setup. The ones in pots are still alive, although one is still struggling.
Yellow tomatoes have germinated and will be placed in a fabric pot.
It looks like something in the mangosteen pot has germinated, but I know it might just be a weed. Can't tell for sure yet. I will plant it in a big pot soon, since it is in a little Jiffy pot right now. If it is only a weed, I will have lost nothing, except for the Jiffy pot.
Alpine strawberries growing in hydroponic setup

No comments:

Post a Comment