Saturday, April 19, 2014

One of My Stupidest Mistakes In Gardening

   There is a section in a gardening forum where people wrote in their stupidest gardening mistakes, but the forum is closed to any more comments or posts, so I will post my stupidest mistake with the hopes that it will save others from potential disaster.
   Years ago, I would collect wood ashes from the fireplace, when natural, untreated wood had been burned. One day, I took the wood ashes out when I thought they had cooled down enough. I put them into a paper bag, then transferred them to the garden.
   The next morning, I looked at the gardens and saw smoke coming from them. The frames were made out of wood and they were on fire! I didn't realize that the wood ashes were still hot. It seemed like they had enough time to cool down, but I guess not.
  So, if you ever put wood ashes out into your gardens, you might want to double check to make sure the fire is completely gone!
  To cure the problem, I put the sprinkler on and left it on for a long time. We were fine, but some of the wood was destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment