Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, And More Tomatoes!

  I am not really a tomato lover, well up until now I wasn't, but with all the pretty colors of tomatoes, I made a decision to love them, even though I had not thought much about them before.
  Did I ever write about the tomatoes I grew unintentionally? The neighbor was impressed and it made me look like a professional gardener. But in reality, what happened was simply that I put out some vegetable peelings in a garden area, and in those scraps were some tomato seeds. They grew tall and I got tomatoes. I probably didn't know what to do with them though. Should have given them to the neighbor.
  I have really enjoyed learning about heirloom vegetables. In the fall, I ordered three different carrot packages. One was for purple carrots (yes, they come in purple), red carrots, and yellow carrots. I thought they would make for an interesting meal or colorful salad. Unfortunately, some wild animal came into my garden and mowed it nicely. Every carrot and beet, except for one, was lost. But some were left in the other gardens and I am pulling them up now.
  Not only are there colorful carrots, but there are also many colors of tomatoes. I had no idea. No one ever told me, and I didn't ever see them in the stores! What I had missed all my life! And I lived in the Garden State where the best tomatoes grow! But, finally, I have found them and now I am growing several different types. I have two black ones growing (black does sound gross, but in the picture, they look more like purple). They are full of nutrients too. I have one red paste tomato, one pink tomato, one yellow tomato, and one white paste tomato. Plus, the garden company sent me a package of tomato seeds of unknown color (I can look it up). They are called Delicious Tomato, I think.
  What a beautiful salad that would make! Greens with red carrots and tomatoes, purple carrots and tomatoes, yellow carrots and tomatoes, and white tomatoes! Add some homemade Fresco Blanco Cheese and that's a meal!
   Now, for the peppers... That's for another time. There's lots of variety in those too. I'll take pics when mine are big.

No comments:

Post a Comment