Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Recent Pictures of the Garden on the Balcony

I am going to post some pictures of the plants that are growing on the balcony. I hope to encourage people to garden by doing this. Gardening is a lot of work, and sometimes, even with the best efforts, crops fail. So far, I have lost a few plants, but many survived babyhood, bug attacks, some diseases, and a few other unexplained events. So even look hardy, like the papaya plants. I wish I could have gotten more of the Giant Granadilla plants to germinate. The one that did germinate is really healthy looking. The coffee plant died one day, and I don't know what caused that to happen.
The plants from this angle are papayas, tomatoes, peppers, a passion fruit,
and avocado, although the plants are hard to see.

This pic is from the opposite end of the first pic. You can see the mystery plant, avocado, papaya, and tomato
on the end.

This is a passion fruit plant. It is called, Giant Granadilla, and it will hopefully have a blue/purple flower and
pretty good sized fruit. It is a vining plant, I believe.

Featuring one of the strawberry papaya plants

Here is an interesting tomato plant. It is growing well, and even has blossoms, but,
the leaves always look like they are wilting.

Some plants that are just getting started. I planted one of the tomatoes tonight and placed it in the yard.

What I wish that I would have done, is to have made labels for the plants using my laminating machine. I made labels using strong clear mailing tape, but water still got in and ruined many of the labels. On these cups, I wrote some of the names with a marker. But something confusing started to happen. Most of these plants grew squash plants in the cups. No matter what the seeds were that I put into each cup, squash plants came up! Some of the other plants came up though, and I put some of them in fabric containers outside. 
See if you can figure this one out: I am trying to grow bananas, as well as banana melon. I also have a tomato plant called cream banana. I planted a tomato plant and had a hard time reading what the words were on the cup, that I wrote. All I saw was the word 'banana'. So, is the plant a banana cream tomato plant, a banana plant, or, banana melon? 

Another plant was something else in a cup (possibly a squash), but a pepper and a tomato plant were growing in the cup! It's made it very interesting to try to relocate the plants in the proper size container, since I don't know which plant I actually planted in many of the cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment