Friday, September 26, 2014

Old Wives Tales and Are They True?

  I came across an article in my email box on asking if some of the old wives tales that pertain to weather are true. To my surprise, well maybe, many of them are.

   Some of the old wives tales are really stupid, like the ones that say that the way a woman carries her baby indicates what sex that baby will be. I actually heard someone mention that a pregnant women I knew was carrying a boy, but guess what, it wasn't a boy! I guess you really can't always trust everything you hear!

   But some of the ones that pertain to the weather are pretty accurate. For example, the saying that goes like this "Red sky at night, sailors delight" is accurate, even scientifically. Now we know a logical reason why this works. A red sky at night is full of dust particles, which indicates a high pressure system. It means that good weather will follow.

   But this saying, "Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning"  means that the precipitation in the atmosphere is high, and it will be raining.

  Here is another one that is true; "When windows won't open, and the salt clogs the shaker, the weather will favor the umbrella maker.". It too, is based upon principles that work, and now are known because of our technological advances.

   Oh, but I didn't read about my favorite one which is "If it rains before 7, it will end by 11". So far, it seems like it is true from my own observations. What do you think?

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/take-warning-when-the-sky-is-red-in-the-morning#ixzz3ER0T3PiV



No comments:

Post a Comment