Monday, September 23, 2013

And Then There Was One.....

One little, two little, three little squirrels... I started making popcorn for the squirrels in order for them to get filled up and not be tempted to go into the garden and destroy the corn I am trying to grow. So, I made popcorn every day for them. I called them by name. Jenny, Jimmy, Johnny, your meal is ready! They became less afraid of us, and it seemed like each day more squirrels were out there eating the popcorn!
  At one point, I counted 12 squirrels. So, I made sure there was plenty of popped corn available for them. But after a while, I noticed that the squirrel population began to decline. Over a period of a couple of weeks, we were down to a couple of squirrels. Either they got tired of the popcorn or they disappeared for some unknown reason.
  Now when I put popcorn out, only one squirrel usually is there to eat it. But fear not, there is a cat and a raccoon who both love the popcorn! They come around and enjoy the meal originally intended for the squirrels.

    I have a theory, and I think I know what really happened to the squirrels. You see, we have owls and predator birds living in the wildlife conserve we have in the back. Me thinks the squirrels became a tasty meal for them. Sad to think the Jenny, Jimmy, Johnny and the rest are gone. Rest in peace, squirrels. The hawks enjoyed their popcorn flavored rodents for a nice midnight snack. Now we don't have to fear the squirrels getting into the corn. But we do have to prepare for the raccoon and cat, to keep them away from the garden plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment