Tuesday, August 27, 2013

OK What Went Wrong This Time?

   I was so happy to have grown a couple of potted plants so successfully that I decided it was time to plant them in the garden.
   The tomatoes were so long that they got tangled with each other. I tried to untangle them, but I think I lost a couple because I did that. Lesson #1- Don't plant tomatoes in pots next to each other!
   The peppers did fine when I transplanted them. Today though, when I checked on them later in the day, they were both wilted. Not only that, but the tomatoes looked like they were on death's door. I lost one complete tomato plant and now it looked like I would lose the other two, but I watered them well, and had to leave to go shopping. I worried about the plants while I was gone, but when I got back three hours later, and checked on them, they looked fine!
   The pepper plants are Purple Jalapeno, and Pepperocini (my spell check doesn't know what to do with this type of pepper!). Both are mildly hot and it will be interesting to grow a purple pepper (sounds like a tongue twister). The tomato plants I'm growing are German Lunchbox and Amish Paste. Both are heirloom plants. Now to look  for some recipes for salsa, tomato sauce, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and a whole bunch of other things. Pepperocini is the pepper that is used in the Papa John's Pizza boxes. When you order pizza from Papa John's, and open the box up, you will find a pepper in each box. That is what I am growing and if I do well at that, will be selling. I will dry my peppers and process them in a food processor, then put them in a jar to supplement my bird's diet. Plus, I can use the Jalapenos in Hot Pepper jelly, aka Sweet and Sour sauce. Years ago, I searched for a recipe that would be like the bottled sweet and sour sauce you get in the Chinese section of the store, but never did I find one, that is, until I made Hot Pepper Jelly. The finished product is the same thing. It could be used as a copy-cat recipe! Yum.
   So, what did I do wrong then, to make the transplanting event so difficult on my plants? The only thing that comes to mind is that it was too hot out today, and the plants weren't happy. Whenever it's hot like that, I will have to go out and water several times a day. It's worth the effort to keep them alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment