Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Homemade Peanut Butter Here We Come!

   One of the most fun things about gardening is planting a garden for the pets. I tried catnip one time, but the neighborhood cats enjoyed it as soon as it was planted! When I brought it inside the house, my cat about destroyed the plant! So much for growing catnip!
   Peppers are fun to grow for the bird and lizard. Birds like hot peppers too, and peppers can add a lot of color to the garden. This time, I am growing pepperoncini (not pepperoni, although both go well on pizza) and purple jalapeno peppers to make jelly with and to serve with my pizzas. I think I will like my pepperoncinis dried out rather than pickled.
 But, I am going to grow peanuts for us. I'm only growing them in order to make peanut butter with. Some companion plants for peanuts are corn, melons, and sunflower seeds. I could imagine the squirrels having a heyday if I were to plant peanuts and sunflowers! Peanuts are easy to grow, and I am going to use heirloom peanuts to plant. Should I plant them with the corn, or should I plant them with the cantaloupe?
   Update on squirrels: When I started serving popcorn to the squirrels, everyone and their brother came out for the meals. At one particular time, I counted a dozen squirrels. The popcorn went fast and I was starting to make  bigger batches, but, I noticed the squirrel population has decreased. Now there are usually between 1 and 3 squirrels out there. We also have a cat and raccoon enjoying the popcorn as well. Whatever happened to the squirrels? Only the squirrels know. But we do have hawks in the back and I did hear some animals fighting one night. It did not sound pretty. After that, I noticed less squirrels. Perhaps the hawks had a nice midnight snack of popcorn stuffed squirrels?

No comments:

Post a Comment