Monday, July 15, 2013

Wide Variety of Vegetables and Fruits

  I love the different types of vegetables and fruits, but what I really find fascinating is the variety in the particular plant or vegetable itself.
  For instance, I belong to an organic vegetable co-op and receive all kinds of beautiful vegetables and fruit every other week. We got these carrots that were different colors. One was a whitish yellow, while there was a purple one as well, as the orange ones. I ordered some carrot seeds that are dark-red. What a pretty vegetable dish these carrots would make.
  Peppers are interesting also. They come in different colors and flavors, as well as hot or sweet. I have always wanted to grow the type of pepper that comes in the box of pizza from Papa John's. The type of pepper is called 'pepperocini' and is a mildly hot pepper. I saw a jelly recipe using Scotch bonnet peppers, so I would like to try them as well. Right now, I have just planted a purple type of jalepeno pepper and will use it in the hot pepper jelly recipe that is equal to Chinese sweet and sour sauce.
   The strawberries are interesting too. I am going to grow three different colors of Alpine strawberries. One is white, another is deep red and one is yellow. When they get big enough, I will grow them hydroponically. Yes, there is a way to grow them organically, but I understand that this is a hard classification for gardeners who grow hydroponically, for if they are to be considered organic, they must be grown in soil. So, it will be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. All I ask is that everything grows and doesn't die off (or I don't kill the plants!).
   Corn comes in different types and colors as well. There is flint corn, which is used to make cornmeal and grits with. There is popcorn types of corn, and then the corn plant for eating. I am growing a flint corn that is colorful as well as large. I hope to see the plants grow and develop before the squirrels and raccoons get a hold of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment