Monday, July 8, 2013

Update on the Strawberry Plants or Learn From My Mistakes

    About two months ago, I started to grow some Alpine strawberry plants to go in a hydroponic garden that I have sitting in the garage. I have the little wool rock (or is it 'rock wool') to plant the seeds in, and a base I can put the rock wool squares in. I got some nice little strawberry plants growing, plus, I have a special plant food to use on them since there is no soil involved in growing these plants.
   The plants were doing ok, but they looked a little spindly, so I decided to put them outside during the day. I picked out a 'safe' place where they wouldn't get hurt by anything (or so I thought). I left them out though, one time, when it rained. Still not a big problem unless the rain is strong. The rain was strong and knocked over some of the rock wool squares. I lost a couple of tiny plants : (
   I brought the plants over to someone's house to babysit them while we were on vacation. When I got back, I could tell the plants were well taken care of and had grown. They had some exposure to sun, and looked healthy. We got them back into our house and a couple of days ago, I put them outside again. Again, I forgot about bringing them back into the house, and I am not sure what happened, but when I remembered to bring them in, a couple of the rock wool squares were knocked over again. Every time that happens, it seems like I lose a couple of plants. I need to take some more rock wool and seeds and find another base and just take into consideration the fact that I am going to lose some plants in the process.
   One more idea I have also. The Alpine strawberries that I am now growing are going to be white. Wouldn't it be cool to have a wide variety of colors for them? I am going to look around and see what other colors are available. I know there are deep red ones that I tried to grow one time, but they all died at an early age : (     I can look around again and see what is out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment