Saturday, July 13, 2019

Gardening Updates and Lessons Learned

Here are some of the things that have been going on for the past year or so:

I actually planted Stevia seeds and got a couple of plants to grow. They did well until the weather turned cold. As soon as the temps got into the 30s and 40s, one of the plants would die. Finally, after one of the last cold spells, both plants died.

I planted some Holy Basil seeds (Tulsi) and they came up. I planted one in a 20 gallon pot, and it is doing great. Now I need to find how to use it!



Just planted one of asparagus plants I grew from seed. We'll see how it does in its new space outside. If it does well, I'll plant the others.

Another interesting seed I planted was one in the squash family called, Kiwano. It is also known as the African Horned Cucumber. The pulp inside the fruit resembles lime Jello, according to the description. Some of the reviewers were not impressed with the taste though. The plant is growing well, but no fruit on it yet. The other seeds I planted never germinated, but the plant that did is taking over a big part of the corner of our back yard!

I planted both lima beans and green beans in the spring. The temperatures here were so hot that I believe it killed both the plants. The lima bean plants lasted longer than the green bean plants, but I noticed today that they were no longer alive.

One of the Eucalyptus seeds germinated and is growing into a nice plant now. If you touch the leaves, the scent comes off on your fingers and it is strong.

I am pleased with the Lemon Balm seeds that I planted months ago. I got a couple of Lemon Balm plants that I replanted into the garden. As long as I keep it watered, it should be ok. I read where Lemon Balm, as good as it is, is invasive. I put it in a box garden and hope it stays there. I have a couple of pepper plants in there too, and one has little peppers on it! I can't remember what kind of pepper plant it is though! I guess we'll see when it is fully grown and turns the color it should be.

I planted Moringa seeds last week. They seem impossible to germinate, so, I will wait and see what happens with them.

The pomegranates are growing nicely. I have 3 of them growing and they will be planted in a 20 gallon fabric pot when ready.

The tomatoes are having problems though. The top leaves are fine, but all the underneath leaves turned brown and dried up. It seems to be something relative to the plants in that box, for I have different tomato varieties, yet, they are all affected by this.

Turmeric is growing well, and in one garden, a pineapple is growing nicely.

The avocado plant that I started about 4 years ago has grown into a large tree. But the Mango plant I planted is no longer there so I guess it died and I never noticed it until I looked one day for it.

Out of all the strawberries I have tried to grow, only one or two survived and have grown and spread out to other parts of the garden.

Corn has always been a disaster, but we will keep trying until we get it right.

I planted Calendula and it came up and did well. Had lots of blossoms for a while. Not much happening with them right now though as it's too hot probably.

The paprika pepper plant has given a lot of peppers and I have made paprika from the peppers on the plant.

Homemade Paprika Powder

No comments:

Post a Comment