Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Newest Gardening Tools

Here is a picture of my newest gardening tools.

The girls playing in their yard, one December day in 2017

They are such good helpers and they produce a good amount of eggs, considering it is winter and the days are short.

Chickens need light to produce eggs. It's been cold out but the chickens seem to be surviving the change of temperature very well.

The egg production got so low a couple of days ago, and I attributed that to the lack of light during the day, but, I found their secret! I found a stash of eggs under the coop! They were dirty so I used them in making a cake.

A few of the girls insist on laying their eggs under the coop, which means I have to slide under the coop and get the eggs. But the Barred Rock girls, aka, my Pajama Gang, still lay eggs in the nest boxes.

Thanks Sage and Olive, for making me
have to slide under the coop to get
your eggs out.

Pretty soon I can take their excrement and put it into the gardens. If I put it in fresh, it will burn the plants.

Our rooster, Ginger, should be grateful that he is part of our yard. Ginger attacks every once in a while. But I show him who the boss is, and he changes his mind. If you ever have a rooster who wants to take over, stare him down. Show him that you are the boss. If Ginger were in anyone else's house, he may have ended up on the dinner table!

"I'm the top dog around here. Nobody touches my girls or
they will be sorry!"

As for the rest of the gardens, they are taking a break. Hopefully, they will be back with good produce in the spring or summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment