Monday, May 6, 2013

My First Piece of Homegrown Asparagus

Here is the first successful piece of asparagus I have ever pulled from my garden. I have tried to grow asparagus three times during my lifetime and have never been successful in growing it until tonight. Last week, I saw a stalk that looked ready to pick but I did not pick it. The next day it looked like a fern so I cut it up and put it in a pot of stew. When the stew was finished, the asparagus was not edible. I learned that as soon as the stalk is the right size around ( the width of a pencil) then you pick it., I picked the first stalk too late. I was surprised to see another ready stalk tonight, but since I did, I made sure I picked it. I bit into it slightly and it wasn't tough like the first one was. I will cook it up tomorrow and will determine for sure if it is edible.


No comments:

Post a Comment