Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Messy Garden

    Right now, my garden is filled with blackberry plants that I thought would be a good idea to let them overgrow in the garden last year. We had the gardens cleaned out a couple of years ago, and the only blackberries were outside of the garden along a trellis that lined the side of the garden area. But little by little, the blackberries started to grow in the garden area again. I did pretty good at first at cutting them out. Blackberries have roots that grow underground, so unless you can pull the roots out, they will just come right back.
  I have three of the garden beds cleaned out except for the thick stemmed blackberry plants. I will have to take some clippers and cut them out and I can try to dig the roots out as well, while nothing else is growing in the garden bed.
  So, little by little I am tackling the garden beds. I am almost done with the asparagus bed as well. My goal is to get it done before it gets too hot! Then I can plant all my peppers, squash, beans, and corn and there will be plenty of room for them to grow.
   The next thing I have to do is to get my worm compost out into the garden area. The soil needs to be fed. The soil also has to be mulched which I will use newspapers for. The soil will love the mulch and it will help the plants in their development.
   Happy Gardening!



No comments:

Post a Comment